Our #CleanGreen16 campaign aims to get everyone cleaning greener at home this year. As part of the campaign, for every order placed on the Bio-D website in 2016, we’ll donate 50 pence to The Wildlife Trusts, a fantastic group of charities that works to recover wildlife across the UK.
Need some motivation to kick-start your own ‘CleanGreen16′? Check out these easy top tips for being greener at home:
1) Buy refillable bottles and refill products - you’ll buy — and dispose of — fewer containers over time
2) Don’t use more product than the directions indicate – using extra laundry liquid or fabric softener won’t get clothes cleaner and fresher! Simply follow the instructions for best results.
3) Look for concentrated cleaning formulas – it’s a cliché but it’s true: with Bio-D products, a little really does go a long way. Our concentrated products are highly effective and use less packaging than other products.
4) Does that tap really need to be on? Turn taps off while brushing teeth – and teach children to do the same. Two minutes of unnecessary water usage each day can waste up to five gallons of water. Fix any leaky taps too.
5) If using a dishwasher, run it full when possible - it uses half or less of the water and energy used when washing the same dishes by hand. And don’t waste water by rinsing before loading – it’s not usually necessary with newer machines.
6) Cold wash where you can – unless items are very dirty, switch to below 40 on your washing machine to save energy and money. You’ll use up to 40% less electricity over a year than washing at higher temperatures. All Bio-D washing products are effective at lower temps!
7) Eat organic – start with organic versions of items known to have high pesticide levels: they include tomatoes, cucumbers, oranges, apples. Better still, consider growing your own! (See below).
8) CleanGreen composting – starting a compost pile in your garden is easier than you think. Buy a compost bin and get started – check out this guide here. And be patient – the process won’t happen overnight but it’s worth the rewards.
9) Energy-efficient lighting – opt for super-efficient LED lighting where possible, and consider installing dimmer switches for energy saving of up to 30%
10) And a general rule for a clean and green 16: switch off and turn down! Not rocket science – if electrical appliances aren’t in use, switch them off. And grab a jumper or a blanket instead of hiking up the thermostat.
Happy #CleanGreen16! Tell us on social media how you’re cleaning greener at home this year – don’t forget to use the hashtag #CleanGreen16.